Is Dunedin Music monitored too intensly

Yes, stop the intensity!
36%
No, I liked being locked out
64%

Total votes : 14

Dunedin music forum monitoring

Postby Low-e » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:24 pm

I am not stirring!!!! But I think it is valid to discuss the amount of monitoring and censorship that occurs in the forums of Dunedin Music! Simply put, everyone is sharing their views on the discussion topics.

So share your experiences and views in this forum (hopefully it wont be locked as a highly contentious forum) as feed back for the monitors.
All I ask is for a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
Low-e
Dunedin Music Lover

Postby evan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:02 pm

Firstly, read the forum descriptions and post in the correct one please.
Moving this.

Secondly, your poll reads like the sort of political poll that has options like:
A] I like Don Brash
B] I like eating children

Thirdly, you're jilted because I locked a thread you had hijacked. Get over it. My interpretation of our posting guidelines is already fairly loose, but calling your mates names that others may find offensive (as you guys have in several areas) doesn't really relate to most of the things people are discussing in here. You already have a personal in-joke thread, which I haven't locked, you can keep that discussion in there.

Fourthly, this sort of thing having been done to death already would indeed give me a reason to lock this thread down as repetition.
This is a signature.
evan
Somewhat Furry

Postby Low-e » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:15 pm

Actually, I wanted to post it in the "discussions" forum. Please move it back. Funny that the first post was a rebuttal and edit from the censor!

Thanks for proving my point Evan.

P.S. what is Jilted?
Low-e
Dunedin Music Lover

Postby evan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:17 pm

The discussions form is for discussion of articles on this site. Like it says. Thanks for proving my point.

And yes, I am defensive. I put a freak-load of work into this site, and I better things to do than get attacked by people with small grudges. You are stirring. Get a dictionary.
This is a signature.
evan
Somewhat Furry

Postby Low-e » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:19 pm

Gee Evan, if you are going to get into personal attacks, you could at least do it via PM! This is a forum based on discussion, not for personally attacking the author!
Low-e
Dunedin Music Lover

Postby hughbacca » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:23 pm

Sorry Nigel, I'm backing Evan on this one. The forums are divided into different areas for a reason.

Also, it helps to stay on topic. If people start a thread asking for advice on something, we don't want it turning into a crass, in-joke discussion totally unrelated to the topic.
Last edited by hughbacca on Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
print pack"C*",split/\D+/,`echo "16iII*o\U@{$/=$z;[(pop,pop,unpack"H*",<> )]}\EsMsKsN0[lN*1lK[d2%Sa2/d0<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<J]dsJxp"|dc`
hughbacca
A Bourbon and Coke thanks, bar-keep.

Postby evan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:23 pm

If you bring your attack on me into the open, I have the right to attack you back on it, and I will. If you wanted to discuss my methods with me privately, you could have done that in the first place.
This is a signature.
evan
Somewhat Furry

Postby hughbacca » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:24 pm

Anyway Low-e, shouldn't you be working? I'm unemployed right now, so have a valid excuse for wasting time on the interwebs.

p.s. wanna give me a lift to band practice this evening?
print pack"C*",split/\D+/,`echo "16iII*o\U@{$/=$z;[(pop,pop,unpack"H*",<> )]}\EsMsKsN0[lN*1lK[d2%Sa2/d0<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<J]dsJxp"|dc`
hughbacca

Postby Low-e » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:32 pm

Well this discussion has not focused on topic, and I haven't attacked anyone...if you will please read over my comments they are not directed at offending, simply discussion.

It has been hijacked by the censorship and has not focused on the topic.

Hugh is agreeing with Evan that it is not in the right forum, but my original comments stand. I believe Dunedin music is too highly monitored. This is the beauty of freedom of speech. Don't be offended, it is my point of view and I am expressing it.

Yes Hugh, I will pick you up. Yes I am working...pretty sweet eh?
Low-e
Dunedin Music Lover

Postby hughbacca » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:38 pm

We spent a long time sorting out how any moderation of these forums would work. Most of it is farily low-level, eg, moving posts to the correct forum or automatically censoring offensive words.

You have to remember a few things about this site: it is intended as a meeting place and resource for Dunedin musicians and it is intended also for a wider audience who may want to know more about music in Dunedin.

We have to keep it relevant and accessable. This does mean occasionally removing or censoring posts that are not relevant.
hughbacca

Postby evan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:39 pm

Which would all be very nice if you hadn't just had a thread locked, and if your poll was a yes/no rather than brick/hard place. I'm not an idiot, and when people come the raw prawn with me, it just makes me angry.
This is a signature.
evan
Somewhat Furry

Postby Low-e » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:02 pm

Thanks for the post Hugh. At least you have contributed to this forum from a constructive censorship point of view.

That's all it is guys....constructive criticism....
Low-e
Dunedin Music Lover

Postby evan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:22 pm

Oh, I completely agree, the choice between "bad" and "bad" is extremely constructive. You're either fooling yourself or you think we're all idiots.
This is a signature.
evan
Somewhat Furry

Postby scott » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:40 pm

Hi Nigel
perhaps you should take a look at some other forums as we did when our group set the guidelines.

Perhaps then you could offer us your opinion on how to best keep ALL users happy?

When you do this be mindful that we have lots of kids on here and they are the future of Dunedin music.

I guess in the end you can always vote with your feet and not post to or read these forums -but somehow that seems to me to be a cop-out.

One of the main reasons for setting up this site was to provide a community for Dunedin musicians (past present and future) to connect with each other which was just not possible to achieve in person.
I personally believe we have gone a good way to acheiving this and used sensible guidelines to get us this far.

The effort that goes in to keeping this thing going from all the people involved is huge. AND it is a labour of love. -None of this team are remotely close to financial independence from doing this.

Perhaps you should consider that when "constructing some criticism" for us.

Other than that bring it on -we only want to continue improving this site and thats why we have the Site Feedback thread going.

I will leave you with a comment I heard the other day:
"Music is the cultural glue of youth"
http://www.dunedinmusic.com is, I hope, somewhere that glue is sticking...

Happy posting :)
scott
The guy from '21 Jump Street'

Postby gecko » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:26 pm

just seeing nigel and his crusade dosen't make me want to be a member of this site.

It all seems so infantile. nigel you are a guest of the guys that run the site, if you don't like it join another one.

A lot of threads here just degenerate into child like drivel, that really does not represent or help music at all. :cry:
gecko
Mildly Interested

Next

Return to Site Feedback