...just give it to me straight...

Is Dunedin Music monitored too intensly

Yes, stop the intensity!
36%
No, I liked being locked out
64%

Total votes : 14

Postby MeTaL_mAnIaC » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:20 pm

gecko wrote:nigel you are a guest of the guys that run the site, if you don't like it join another one.
Just like Mike Puke!! Ra-spekt, bo-ya-ka-sha :P :roll:
\m/MeTaLmAnIaC\m/

Journey to the Stars... Sausage Roll GuitaaaAAAAAAAARS...
I like to Rock! I like to Rock!

http://smallvictories.no-ip.org
http://dstocker.no-ip.info
MeTaL_mAnIaC
Posting Machine

Postby scurvydog » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:01 am

Old School Punk Forum (Mike Puke's site) is actually closing down. Mainly because of a censorship issue. They want to censor words and Mike doesn't want any censorship on the site. Just felt I should share this fact. Returning now to my usual, inane drivel!
'They'll hang me in the morning....
scurvydog
Posting Machine

Postby Dave_Yam » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:35 pm

Okay then:

1) Evan, Scott, Rob and Hugh are all swell dudes for maintaining this site. No dispute.

2) Granted my Drop A tuning thread became rather stupid. I blame Mr Drunk Uncle, because he knows what Yams are prone to do.

3) We all have BAs, so pissing competitions will only end up with wet shoes... and I don't want wet shoes, do you?

4) In my opinion, the level of third party intrusion on DMC does occasionally border on the unnecessary, esp. when certain moderators are having a "bad day". Sometimes forum humour doesn't carry well via text :roll: I also realise that these "bad days" might be related to having to moderate dumb topics. Ahh catch-22. C'est la vie.

5) :idea:
How about instead of locking a thread, why don't you move it to a "forum section of shame", a place away from the main forum section where wayward threads (such as the infamous Drop A) are banished to die slowly and away from the more 'normal' topics - much in the same manner that Lepers were sent to colonies to avoid infecting healthy people. Everybody wins, nobody loses. Locked threads look dumb.
We don't want to look "dumb" do we?
Dave_Yam
Fountain of Knowledge

Postby MeTaL_mAnIaC » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:39 pm

Um... don't yell at me anyone... but I think his 5 is pretty good... A leper colony full of threads, could this site get any cooler 8) that would be awesome.
\m/MeTaLmAnIaC\m/

Journey to the Stars... Sausage Roll GuitaaaAAAAAAAARS...
I like to Rock! I like to Rock!

http://smallvictories.no-ip.org
http://dstocker.no-ip.info
MeTaL_mAnIaC
Posting Machine

Postby Dave_Yam » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:29 pm

Thank you Mr. Metal. You shall be welcome at my leper colony anytime. :shock:
Dave_Yam
Fountain of Knowledge

Postby irulz » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:15 pm

I have a gripe. Give me something. I made 1000 posts.
... And You Will Know Me By The Trail Of Empty Bottles.
irulz
Pillar of Dunedin Culture

Postby Doomith » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:27 am

Like.. icecream ? or something more like a car ?
Doomith
Posting Machine

Postby Former_Child_Star » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:34 am

thread of shame dungeon FTW
Former_Child_Star
Posting Machine

Postby timmeh » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:45 am

The whole dm.c team do a great job in providing and maintaining this site - it's a real service to the Dunedin (and NZ) music community. It seems fair to enjoy the priviledge of using this resource whilst observing the few guidelines stipulated, and respect the moderators' (I'm counting Evan, Rob, Scott and Hugh here) rulings.

Was it Socrates who chose to be executed somewhere in Greece rather than flee into exile? He had followed the state's laws when they benefitted him, and felt it poor form to disobey the law when it went against him. (BA graduates feel free to correct me)

I liked that story anyway :roll:

evan wrote:...come the raw prawn...

And I like Australianisms. Stone the flaming crows.

Ooh, and if the thread dungeon is to go ahead, threads banished there could stay off the hot topics list, so they can die in relative silence?
Support your local funk machine

MySpace
RFM website
timmeh
Avid Fan

Postby hauni739 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:02 pm

Ha Nigel

You have proven yourself to be an uncontent and irritable homo!
hauni739
Dunedin Music Lover

Postby Dangerfield » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:45 pm

hauni739 wrote:Ha Nigel

You have proven yourself to be an uncontent and irritable homo!

Yes, because that's what homosexuals do, they write posts on forums complaining about excessive moderation all the time. :roll:
Dangerfield
Avid Fan

Postby DIOXIN » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:01 pm

Just post on punkas. You can say words like *bleep* and *bleep* oh and don't forget *bleeping* bleepidy* *bleeper* *bleep* or my personal favorite *bleep* the *bleeping* *bleeper* the *bleeping* *bleeper's* *bleeped*
http://conniption.bandcamp.com/
DIOXIN
Posting Machine

Postby evan » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:33 pm

I like the idea of shame-based discipline, sure, since I, like the rest of you have a sadistic streak. There are downsides though - firstly, drawing attention to things tends to validate them and while things remain active, they remain a problem; secondly, the whole deal would be more work for me, and trust me, I have enough of that as it is. Still, maybe if I someday had a few hours to throw something based on this idea together, maybe that would be fun. And it would certainly be a point of difference (not a POD, mind). :wink:
I agree that locked threads look bad, but I think most people would agree that an abundance of off topic and at times offensive discussion looks worse. A large part of my brief is to keep the information we're creating here accessible and easy to find - a point that Gecko has lamented upon - which is why we have forum categories and posting guidelines. I want to make it clear that I have to do a hell of a lot less moderating than the average moderated community and for that I thank everyone.
Yes, you're right, I do have bad days and sometimes I may cross the "why bother?" line. And you're also right in thinking that many times my day might be bad because of the bog I'm being dragged through. This said, if you genuinely think I'm being unfair in one of my decisions (with respects to our rules and guidelines) then PM me and we'll discuss it, don't open a poorly disguised thread about it because that just makes my day worse, and since I'm actually a nice enough guy, why would you want to do that? Feedback and new ideas are good, straight out criticism with no solution is Gerry Brownlee.

Thanks for the measured comments.
This is a signature.
evan
Somewhat Furry

Postby Former_Child_Star » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:23 am

^^^^
thinly disguised seething rage

jeez...i can almost imagine him furiously hammering keys to get that posted :x
Former_Child_Star
Posting Machine

Postby evan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:15 am

Dude, I had my two days holiday and the general consensus is with me... aint no rage here at all.
This is a signature.
evan
Somewhat Furry

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback