Poll ended at Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:00 pm

[censored]
No votes
fork, bunt, combine harvester, revolving silly replacements
46%
38%
[i am a naughty person with a dirty mouth], [wash my mouth out]
8%
a combination thereof, or some other form. please post what!
8%

Total votes : 13

Postby evan » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:00 pm

icouldcareless

Clap clap. It's also not hard to get banninated. This is your first and only warning. As has been stated elsewhere, deliberately circumventing the censorship is against the rules. Don't do it again.
This is a signature.
evan
Somewhat Furry

Postby Doomith » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:22 pm

You got f_o_r_k ed my friend
Doomith
Posting Machine

Postby icouldcareless » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:01 am

aw =( where does it say that?
icouldcareless
Record Store Obsessor

Postby evan » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:57 pm

For a start, there's a section in the signup on not being explicit. Then there's the other messages where Bakos was warned for doing exactly what you did. Then there's the common sense factor. Why would I bother putting the censorship in if I wasn't going to act when people abuse it?
There will be a short "rules" post when we get the results of this poll in and make a decision.
This is a signature.
evan
Somewhat Furry

Postby icouldcareless » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:29 pm

Sorry.

evan wrote:Then there's the other messages where Bakos was warned for doing exactly what you did.
Once again, sorry, but i dont read every message on the site.
icouldcareless
Record Store Obsessor

Postby BakosDeLowang » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:20 pm

evan the banninator... teehee. I SAID CONSUMATE V's! CONSUMATE!
------
And yeah. Not really fair to put evan in a position where he'd have to look like a nazi-admin. He's done a lot o work. It's not hard to follow his few rules.
Has a verdict been reached or is voting still open?
-j
"Our souls, which are beginning to awaken after the reign of materialism, harbor scenes of desperation, unbelief, lack of purpose. The whole nightmare of the materialistic attitude, is not yet over."
-Vassily Kandinsky; 1912
BakosDeLowang
Posting Machine

Postby evan » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:52 pm

Voting has closed, but I/we haven't had time to really formalise anything yet, so feel free to post your preference. :)
This is a signature.
evan
Somewhat Furry

Postby vacuole » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:18 pm

My vote would be for a system like they use in the press, where crucial letters are replaced with "*"s, for example "f*** me, what a s***load of b******ing a***". This makes it clear that censorship is being employed, without completely destroying (or, perhaps worse, altering) the meaning of what was originally written. The thing I found most weird initially about the whole "shirt", "fork", "combine harvester" malarkey was that it wasn't obvious that it wasn't what the poster had originally written, and that the translations were actually being done by the system.

Another tricky thing about all this is how to decide which words (or which senses of which words) might cause offense. Do we censor every occurrence of every word that might potentially be deemed offensive by somebody somewhere? That's a tricky line to be drawing. What about entire phrases? Even spammers can come up with some remarkably convoluted ways of saying the same thing to get around junk e-mail filters. Changing the written form of the word is not going to stop it from being offensive to some people, if the meaning is still conveyed. And if the written form is altered so much that the meaning is not conveyed, then the censorship has (IMO) probably gone too far. I think ultimately the users of the board have to be responsible for adhering to the rules (and spirit thereof) that they agreed to when they signed up, and equally importantly not to be too quick to take offence at something someone else says.

Come to think of it, why not also require new users to agree to be tolerant of the language or ideas or sentiments expressed by other users, and to respect the right of others to free speech and expression? I'm being at least slightly serious there. :)
vacuole
Dunedin Music Lover

Postby Verity » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:09 pm

I think that the best thing is the....f*** etc...

It took me a lil minute to work out why if I wrote f*** it would come up fork, or if i wrote S**t it would come up shirt....I get it all now!

Stars mainly takes something away rather then adding a whole new word in there, gets the point across!

friggin hell!
ASH & THE MATADORS:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ash-The-Matadors/191638035457

http://ashandthematadors.blogspot.com/
Verity
Record Store Obsessor

Previous

Return to Site Feedback